Massage Therapy and COVID-19---what you need to know
Updated: Apr 1
CMTO (College of Massage Therapy of Ontario) lays out all necessary steps both clients and massage therapists need to follow to guarantee safe treatments.
What can you expect?
• Will screen you for COVID-19 (before the appointment and when you arrive)
• Will ask you to come to the appointment alone (if possible), wearing a mask
• Will ask you to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer when you arrive and before you leave • Will wash their hands with soap and water thoroughly and regularly, including before and after treatment
• Will wear a medical mask whenever within two metres of you and during treatment
• May wear gloves or other personal protective equipment (PPE), such as goggles or a gown
What cleaning and disinfecting protocols are in place?
• Items used during treatment will be cleaned and disinfected after each client
• Linens and blankets will be changed and laundered after each client and the face cradle will be thoroughly disinfected
• Items that cannot be cleaned and disinfected or changed between clients will be removed from the treatment area
What can you do to help ensure safety?
• Stay home if you have COVID-19 symptoms or are feeling unwell
• Try not to touch your face
• Cough and sneeze into your elbow or a tissue; dispose of the tissue immediately and wash your hands or use hand sanitizer
• Let your RMT know if you have concerns about wearing a mask
• Follow your RMT's guidance and ask any questions you have before, during and after treatment